Homemade Macaroni


Homemade macaroni is the best! My kiddos love it and sometimes I even sneak in broccoli and they never even know! I got my recipe from The Pioneer Women! Its supper delish and she also has a step by step tutorial if you want to check it out!   Pioneer Woman ..... Ever since Jon has been diagnosed with diabetes I've tweek Ree's recipe to cut down on carbs since he can only have 70 carbs a meal!

I've got this recipe to about 30 carbs a serving versus 79 give or take carbs in other recipes!

What you need:

Ingredients

  • 4 cups Dried Macaroni ( I used regular macaroni but whole wheat would be more nutritious!)
  • 1 whole Egg Beaten
  • 1/4 cup Butter ( I use margarine because it has 0 carbs)
  • 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 2-1/2 cups Whole Milk ( I use fat free milk it has lower carbs
  • 2 teaspoons heaping Dry Mustard,
  • 1 pound Cheese, Grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
  •  Cayenne just a pinch or so

To start get a pot of water boiling on the stove.... make sure you season your water generously with salt and olive oil. Once it starts to boil add the macaroni make sure you don't over cook the noodles  you actually need to under cook them because they will continue to cook in the oven. ** O and once you add the noodles give them a quick stir so they don't clump together.

Now in another pot( I use a dutch oven but you don't have to ) Melt the butter then add the flour.


Now whisk this together....this is called a roux. Don't let it burn keep whisking after about 5 minutes add the milk.
give it a good whisk then add the spices.
Now its time to temper the egg you beat earlier. How you do  this is you add about a tsp or so of the milk mixture to the beaten egg and mix this up. Then add egg to the rest of the milk and whisk. If you dump the beaten egg into the hot milk without tempering it will scramble the egg ...tempering allows the egg mixture to gradually come to temperature first.
Now add the cheese....
Of course I had to used the packaged shredded cheese because conveniently the lady at HEB forgot to give me the bag with my cheese! So irritating but I luckily had exactly 1lb of Monterrey jack so in it went....but again freshly shredded is so much better! Once the cheese has melted add your noodles....
Mix it up good...give it a quick taste to see if it needs more seasoning...then put in a greased baking sheet and top with 1/2 cup cheese. Then put in a 350 degree preheated oven!

Once its melted and bubbly take out and enjoy!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to read your comments! Please leave me a link to your blog or favorite social media link so I can check it out! Have a blessed day and thank you again for stopping by!