Strawberry Shortcake





I am a Jason's deli strawberry short cake addict. I CANNOT go eat at Jason's without ordering one... I just can't.
Strawberry shortcake is super simple to make and I'm not talking that store bought angel food cake with strawberry goo that gets smothered on top. I'm talking dense yellow cake layered with homemade whipping cream and fresh strawberries. 

Strawberries were on sale at the grocery store this evening so I thought what better excuse to indulge in a few extra calories this evening! 

My family LOVES strawberries so this dessert gets a 5 star recommendation from the littles. Did I mention its pretty cheap to make! Total cost is around $8 and feeds 8-10 people depending on serving size. 





Ingredients:

One box yellow cake mix
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
Two small containers of fresh strawberries 




Preheat Oven to 350


Using crisco or butter, coat two round cake pans then dust with flour. (Mine were 7 inch I believe)This is a very important step... This will allow your cakes to release from the pan fully intact  and effortlessly. 


Follow the back of the  boxed cake mix ***EXCEPT USE 1/2 CUP OIL VERSUS WHAT IT CALLS FOR***  1/2 cup makes the cake extra moist. 



Separate batter equally into the two cake pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. 


Let cool. 


While your cakes are cooling whip up some whipping cream. Using a standing mixer beat quart of heaving whipping cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form. You want it nice and thick so it doesn't run off the cake. 


Cut the tops of the cakes off so that you have a flat surface to work on. 


Spread a very generous helping of whipped cream on the first layer of cake. Then add lots of freshly cut strawberries.


Cut the top of the other cake off and place the cut side down on the layer of whipped cream and strawberries. Then repeat with a big helping of both whipped cream and strawberries on top. 

.... and that's a wrap!




Now enjoy every bite nice and slowly!!


Hope you enjoyed this yummy dessert! Thanks for stopping by. 

-Ann



1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, all of those strawberries - I am jealous :) Your shortcake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your comments! Please leave me a link to your blog or favorite social media link so I can check it out! Have a blessed day and thank you again for stopping by!